For many young people, growing up today can be tough. Many face challenges like never before. And many don’t know where to turn for support.
Helping more young people reach their potential is the goal of Ontario’s Youth Opportunities Strategy, part of Ontario’s Poverty Reduction Strategy.
It’s a way for youth to:
- work constructively within their communities
- gain confidence
- learn new skills
- work towards a valuable work reference
The ministry is working with community agencies and police to develop more services and programs for youth in under-serviced areas across the province. These programs help young people overcome their difficulties and reach their full potential.
The Youth Opportunities Strategy:
- Summer Jobs for Youth Program -- Provides young people who are 15 – 18 years of age with summer jobs so they can get real work experience. The program includes six weeks of employment and a week before to learn about resumes, interviews and other useful life skills They also get a week of post-employment support
- Youth in Policing Initiative -- Provides opportunities for youth between the ages of 15 to 18 to work with police departments in different areas across Ontario so they can develop skills that could lead to a possible career in policing. Youth have an opportunity to work in a variety of areas, including information technology, forensic identification, community events and traffic safety.
- Youth Outreach Worker Program --. Outreach workers meet youth in the places they hang out to make sure they know about the wide range of programs and services available to them. The workers also encourage young people to get involved in positive projects in their community.
- YouthConnect.ca -- Youthconnect.ca is an Ontario government website aimed at young people looking for help. It is a one-stop source for useful information and government services for all youth.
The youth-friendly site features links to questions about health, education, getting a job, getting involved in the community and other sources of help